The edit of Guards’ Mustering was much more involved than I thought it would be. I made a lot of changes – deleted sections, added others. Right up until today, I still wasn’t happy with the ending either. I kept changing it, but it didn’t feel right.
However, today is a public holiday (Australia Day) so there was no work for me, and I spent four hours pouring over the story once again. This was the final edit, and when I got to the end I finally found the right way to end the story. 🙂 I’m so happy.
I have made the changes on-screen, and will read through it one more time tomorrow morning (I’ve got the day off). I doubt I’ll send the submission until Monday though, because I don’t want to cut out a further two days that might come in handy for “emergency” changes if I suddenly realise something is wrong.
Final word count is 4600.